We praise God for his work in us since 1843.
The Church of the Ascension began its journey on November 28, 1843, when a small group of concerned local Episcopalians met for the purpose of organizing a congregation in Westminster, which at the time was a small village with a population of approximately 500. In May 1844, the Diocesan Convention, held in Baltimore, voted to grant the formal organization of the “Parish of Ascension.” Fundraising began and in August 1844 ground was broken on our Stone Church. In May 1846, on Ascension Day, Church of the Ascension was consecrated.
Stone Church "Then"
This original building, now affectionately referred to as the Stone Church, exemplifies the Neo-Gothic architectural style advocated by the Ecclesiological Society in the 19th century. The Stone Church has been modified only slightly in the past 170-plus years, and is recognized as an historic property by the Maryland Historical Trust.
Children's Chapel Services
Children in grades K - 5 may join us every Sunday in the Children's Chapel for a special service! Lasting from the Gospel Sequence Hymn to the Peace during the 10:15 a.m. worship service, children will have the opportunity to participate in a special service that illustrates the faith of The Episcopal Church and relays the Gospel message in a clear and relatable way.
Our Children's Chapel services run for approximately 20 minutes. Children are escorted by Ascension Youth Ministries staff during the transitions.