We praise God for his work in us since 1843.
The Church of the Ascension began its journey on November 28, 1843, when a small group of concerned local Episcopalians met for the purpose of organizing a congregation in Westminster, which at the time was a small village with a population of approximately 500. In May 1844, the Diocesan Convention, held in Baltimore, voted to grant the formal organization of the “Parish of Ascension.” Fundraising began and in August 1844 ground was broken on our Stone Church. In May 1846, on Ascension Day, Church of the Ascension was consecrated.
Stone Church "Then"
This original building, now affectionately referred to as the Stone Church, exemplifies the Neo-Gothic architectural style advocated by the Ecclesiological Society in the 19th century. The Stone Church has been modified only slightly in the past 170-plus years, and is recognized as an historic property by the Maryland Historical Trust.
Our Clergy and Staff
The Rev. F. Allan Weatherholt, Jr.
The Rev’d F. Allan Weatherholt, Jr., has served as Ascension’s Interim Rector since August, 2021. Fr. Allan is a lifelong Episcopalian and Marylander and grew up at historic Emmanuel Parish, Cumberland. Fr. Weatherholt is a 1972 graduate of Frostburg State University, where he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Speech and Communications. He graduated from Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, in 1975 with the degree of Master in Divinity. In January 1980, he became Rector of St. Thomas’ Parish, Hancock, a position he held for over 41 years, until his retirement in June 2021.
In addition to his duties as a Parish Priest, Fr. Allan’s ministry focused on outreach to those in need in western Washington County through the Interfaith Service Coalition. At St. Thomas’, he supervised close to 10 men and women in the Ordination process of our Diocese. He also served for 24 years as a volunteer Chaplain for the Maryland State Police and two other police agencies.
Fr. Weatherholt is married to The Rev’d Anne O. Weatherholt, who retired after 24 years as Rector of St. Mark’s Church, Lappans, (near Hagerstown) in June 2019. Both Fr. Allan and Rev’d Anne have considerable experience in Parish ministry, and, though semi-retired, still both serve as Interim Rectors where needed.
The Rev. F. Allan Weatherholt, Interim Rector
Bryan Lance, Sr. Warden
Titus Mataban, Jr. Warden
Nancy Starner, Treasurer
Susan Considine, Registrar