We praise God for his work in us since 1843.
The Church of the Ascension began its journey on November 28, 1843, when a small group of concerned local Episcopalians met for the purpose of organizing a congregation in Westminster, which at the time was a small village with a population of approximately 500. In May 1844, the Diocesan Convention, held in Baltimore, voted to grant the formal organization of the “Parish of Ascension.” Fundraising began and in August 1844 ground was broken on our Stone Church. In May 1846, on Ascension Day, Church of the Ascension was consecrated.
Stone Church "Then"
This original building, now affectionately referred to as the Stone Church, exemplifies the Neo-Gothic architectural style advocated by the Ecclesiological Society in the 19th century. The Stone Church has been modified only slightly in the past 170-plus years, and is recognized as an historic property by the Maryland Historical Trust.
Free Summer Programs
These are 2-3 hours long and focus on a single activity aimed at helping children gain or increase their knowledge or skill in a particular area.
A half-day program, where in addition to learning a play from an experienced drama teacher, the children enjoy theme related games, music, art and other fun activities. The play is presented on the evening of the last day.
Vacation Bible School
A one week ½ day program centered on getting to know Jesus. The curriculum involves singing, storytelling, games, videos, crafts, snacks and more.